Anna has a broad practice encompassing consumer contracts, advertising, pricing, food and product labelling and financial services. She undertakes drafting and advisory work and appears in various courts and tribunals, both as a junior and as sole counsel.
Anna is recognised as a leading junior in Chambers & Partners and Legal 500. Examples of recent work include acting for the Civil Aviation Authority in Gahan v Emirates  EWCA Civ 1530 (together with Iain MacDonald), representing a major online auction house in a claim for judicial review, and advising an importer of cosmetic products on labelling and advertising matters. Anna also appeared as sole counsel in the Administrative Court on behalf of Newcastle City Council in R. (Kingston upon Hull City Council) v Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills  EWHC 1064 (Admin);  PTSR 967 (a judicial review of BIS Better Regulation Delivery Office’s endorsement of advice given to Greggs plc by Newcastle City Council under the Primary Authority Scheme).
Anna has a particular interest in EU consumer law. She spent three months as a visiting professional at the consumer law enforcement unit of the European Commission, where she worked on a number of consumer Regulations and Directives. In particular, Anna was involved in the review of the Consumer Protection Cooperation Regulation.
Anna has extensive experience in acting on behalf of businesses and regulators in this area. Examples of recent work include:
- advising a leading e-commerce company in relation to an investigation under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations, the Electronic Commerce (EC Directive) Regulations 2002 and a host of other consumer regulations;
- drafting legal submissions on behalf of an online retailer during a trading standards investigation under the Business Protection from Misleading Marketing Regulations 2008;
- advising charities and educational establishments on the applicability of consumer protection law .
Anna regularly advises on civil aviation matters, including claims for compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004 and the Montreal Convention. Examples of recent work include representing the Civil Aviation Authority in Gahan v Emirates  EWCA Civ 1530 (led by Iain MacDonald) and advising on the applicability of the new Package Travel Regulations.
Anna advises on a wide range of advertising matters, including compliance with the CAP Code and the BIS Pricing Practices Guide. She has also been involved in drafting submissions before the Independent Reviewer of ASA Adjudications and has advised on potential judicial review proceedings against the ASA.
Anna acts on behalf of banks and financial institutions in interim applications and trials, particularly in the fields of insurance mis-selling and consumer credit. She was also recently seconded to the Financial Conduct Authority, where she advised on the applicability of the temporary permissions regime to various aspects of the FCA Handbook.
Anna is a contributing editor to The Encyclopedia of Financial Services Law (Sweet & Maxwell, 2018).
Food and nutrition labelling – Anna has experience in food and nutritional labelling issues, including the labelling of alcoholic drinks and meat products. She also provided assistance to Iain MacDonald and Jonathan Kirk QC in the Supreme Court case of Torfaen County Borough Council v Douglas Willis Limited  UKSC 59.
Food safety and hygiene – Anna has been instructed in prosecutions under the Food Safety and Hygiene Regulations 2013. She has also recently advised a food business operator in relation to an investigation by the Food Standards Agency.
Anna is a member of the Food Law Group.
Anna has experience in a range of commercial matters, including the sale and supply of goods and services. She has also been involved in advisory work on the application of the Distance Selling Regulations 2000 and the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.
“Has detailed technical knowledge and adopts a client-friendly approach” Chambers & Partners 2019
“A pure consumer law expert” Legal 500, 2019
“Anna is absolutely outstanding. She is very technical with excellent legal acumen, but also very friendly and approachable. An all-round superstar.” Chambers & Partners 2018
“She knows her stuff, is very sensible and her written work is of a very high quality.” Chambers & Partners 2018
- Contributing editor, ‘The Encyclopedia of Financial Services Law’ (Sweet & Maxwell, 2018)
- Contributing editor, ‘Consumer and Trading Standards: Law and Practice’ (‘the Pink Book’) (LexisNexis, 2018)
- Contributing editor,’Consumer and Trading Standards: Law and Practice’ (‘the Pink Book’) (LexisNexis, 2018)
- EU law editor, Miller: Product Liability and Safety Encyclopaedia (LexisNexis, 2018)
- Westlaw Insight articles: Consumer Credit: Hire and Hire Purchase Consumer Credit: Classes of Agreements; Product Liability: Energy Appliances
- Contributing editor: ‘Modern Financial Regulation’ ( Jordan, 2013)
- Case reports in the International Law Reports, Cambridge University Press (Nos. 148 and 149)
Anna is authorised to accept Direct Access instructions.
Anna is fluent in Russian and Swedish and has a working knowledge of French. Before joining Gough Square, Anna gained experience in a number of international organisations, including the United Nations, where she worked as a consultant. Before coming to the Bar, Anna worked as a research assistant at the London School of Economics, interned at the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London and volunteered with internally displaced persons in Georgia.
Anna studied EU Trade Law during her LL.M at Cambridge, with particular focus on EU Consumer Law. She was awarded the Queens’ College Cambridge “College Prize” and the “Foundation Scholarship” for her LL.M results.
VAT number: 161 6388 01