Our aim is to give you a good service at all times. However while all barristers and staff strive to maintain high standards, there may be occasions when a person is dissatisfied. We would hope to resolve any dissatisfaction informally, and the senior clerk or the Heads of Chambers are always happy to discuss matters that concern you. However, you of course have the right to make a complaint about the service you receive and Chambers’ procedure for dealing with such complaints is set out below.

If you do wish to make a complaint, you are invited to let us know as soon as possible. It is not necessary to involve solicitors in order to make a complaint, but you are free to do so.

Please note that the Legal Ombudsman, the independent complaints body for service complaints about lawyers, has a six year time limit from the date of the act or omission about which you are complaining within which to make your complaint (or, if later, three years from the date you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint). Chambers must therefore have regard to that timeframe when deciding whether they are able to investigate your complaint. Chambers will not deal with complaints that fall outside of this time limit.

Complaints made by telephone

You may wish to proceed straight to a written complaint. However, if you would rather speak on the telephone first, then please ask the clerks to speak with Fred Philpott. A note of the details of your complaint and what you would like done about it will be made and your concerns will be discussed with you with the aim of resolving them. If the matter is resolved, the outcome will be recorded and, after a check that you are satisfied with the outcome, the fact that you are satisfied will be recorded. You may also wish to record the outcome of the telephone discussion in writing. If your complaint is not resolved on the telephone you will be invited to write to us about it within the next 14 days so it can be investigated formally.

Written complaints

Please give your name and address, whom you are complaining about, the detail of the complaint and what you would like done about it. Please address your letter to Mr Fred Philpott, Gough Square Chambers, 6-7 Gough Square London EC4A 3DE.

Upon receipt of your complaint Fred Philpott will draw up a Complaints Panel which will not include the member(s) who is the subject of your complaint. Your complaint will be investigated by the Panel, headed by Fred Philpott. (If your complaint is against Fred Philpott, he shall not sit on the Panel and another member of the Panel will be appointed as head.)

The head of the Panel will write to you as soon as possible to let you know of the appointment of the Panel to investigate your complaint. The letter will inform you that you will receive a reply to your complaint within 14 days. If later the Panel finds that it is not going to be able to reply within 14 days, a new date for the reply will be set and the head of the Panel will inform you of it.

The reply will set out the nature and scope of the investigation, the Panel’s conclusion on each complaint and the basis for its conclusion and, if it finds that you are justified in your complaint, its proposals for resolving the complaint.


All conversations and documents relating to the complaint will be treated as confidential and will be disclosed only to the extent that is necessary. Disclosure will be to members of the Complaints Panel and to anyone involved in the complaint and its investigation; such people will include the barrister member or staff whom you have complained about. The Bar Standards Board is entitled to inspect the documents and seek information about the complaint when discharging its auditing and monitoring functions.

Our policy

As part of our commitment to client care we make a written record of any complaint and retain all documents and correspondence generated by the complaint for a period of six years.

Chambers follows the Bar Standards Board Chambers Complaints Handling Guidance, which can be found on the Bar Standards Board website.

Where the complainant is a disabled person, we will consider a reasonable adjustment to this policy. If an adjustment is required, a request for the adjustment should be made addressed to the Complaints Panel, whom will consider whether the adjustment is reasonable and, if so, apply it.

Complaints to the Legal Ombudsman

If, within 8 weeks of making the complaint to us, you feel that the complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction, you may take up your complaint with the Legal Ombudsman, the independent complaints body for complaints about lawyers. The Ombudsman is not ordinarily able to consider your complaint until it has first been investigated by Chambers. You can write to the Ombudsman at:

Legal Ombudsman
PO Box 15870
Birmingham B30 9EB
Telephone: 0300 555 0333
Online form available here