James regularly acts on behalf of banks, building societies and other financial institutions. He advises on a wide range of matters relating to consumer credit and financial services. He was selected as the Banking & Finance Barrister of the Year (UK) by the Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards 2018.
Drafting and advisory
- The new consumer credit activities added to the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Regulated Activities) Order 2001;
- The Money Laundering Regulations 2007, Payment Services Regulations 2009 and Electronic Money Regulations 2011;
- Collective investment schemes;
- Drafting and advising on the required statutory content of consumer credit documentation;
- Unenforceable regulated credit agreements and challenges to notices under the CCA 1974;
- Connected lender liability under section 75 of the CCA 1974;
- Unfair relationships and extortionate credit bargains under the CCA 1974;
- Consumer credit advertising and financial promotions;
- Liability in respect of undisclosed or secret commissions;
- Penalties and unfair terms;
- Alleged harassment of debtors.
- Representing banks and financial advisors in relation to the alleged mis-selling of investments and financial products, including alleged breach of the COB rules;
- Representing creditors and brokers defending claims of mis-sold PPI and breach of the ICOB rules;
- James regularly appears on behalf of creditors and assignees in debt recovery claims which are defended on technical grounds under the CCA 1974.