With 30 years’ experience in a variety of areas of law, Jeremy represents both companies and professionals before Tribunals, and in regulatory or fraud cases and is an expert climate change lawyer.
Lead Defence counsel in numerous product safety cases including: Toy Safety, Baby Products – Baby Walkers, Prams, Pushchairs [Chico, Smiffys, Bristol Novelty], Electrical Safety, Fireworks, Food Safety. Flammability of Wigs, masks, costumes. Imitation Food Regulations, Firework Storage [Black Cat, Menshun].
Regularly instructed to defend solicitors before the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal and in SRA regulatory cases [Fox Hayes]. Also General Medical Council (‘GMC’), Health Professions Council (‘HPC’), Financial Services Authority (‘FSA’) and Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (‘ICAEW’), Board member of the Accountancy and Actuarial Disciplinary Board (‘AADB’) for 4 years. Legal Adviser to the Nursing and Midwifery Council (‘NMC’).
OFT and MOJ investigations into unfair commercial practices of Quick Homes Sales [Gateway Homes] and Claims Management Companies. Segway. Directors’ Disqualification Companies Court [Re Luton Town].
Fatal accidents, Medical Devices failures (Cot sides), Hazardous Materials, Aerosol Shredding Flammable propellants [Greenway]
Represented a number of police officers of various ranks in Inquests following deaths in custody. Currently representing three senior ground commanders in Hillsborough Disaster Inquest
Waste Packaging for a number of ‘Drop Ship’ and Mobile Phone Accessory Plc. Prosecutions under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010. Noise Abatement.
Climate Change Law
- Representing a firm of solicitors in relation to an escrow service for the developer of the Brazil ‘Minha Casa, Minha Vida’ (My Home, My Life) eco housing project to build over a million sustainable homes;
- Delivering a paper on the regulation of risks in energy storage to the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing ( including disposal of batteries, nanotechnology risks and international harmonisation of regulation).
- Advising a non annex 1 government on compliance with its obligations under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change [UNFCCC ] to prepare national communications on inventories, mitigation and adaptation.
- Advice to an academic research group on EU procurement rules and general planning issues in relation to a Carbon Capture Storage project.
- Advice to solar panel installers [solar PV] on Feed In Tariff interpretation by OFGEM and the Department of Energy and Climate Change.
- Advice to a supermarket franchise on the impact of the Carbon Reduction Commitment Order [CRC] energy efficiency scheme throughout its estate.
Successful Defence in a number of criminal fraud prosecutions by SFO, HMRC, Fraud Group; Ostrich Farming, Banking, Distance Learning [NDLC], Mortgage Fraud, Pyramid Selling Regulations, Financial Services, Advance Fee Frauds, VAT reclaims by Accountants. Corruption [Donnygate].
Appeals in relation to assessments of capital gains and offsetting costs of litigation against profits.
Jeremy has acted as ‘independent general counsel’:
- Climate change law, regulation policy; counsel to a national government;
- Advice to solicitors’ firms on interventions, referral fee ban, waivers;
- Advising a company on general contracts, setting up business in China and raising finance;
- Advice on Consumer Credit Licensing following criminal investigation into employees;
- Complex EU procurement, planning and general contractual issues for Carbon Capture Storage Research programme;
- Counterfeiting and shareholder issues;
- Possible investigation by GMC following malicious complaints against clinical director;
- Numerous investigations by SRA against small, medium and large solicitors’ practices.
- Article: Lack of Integrity at the SDT
- Website and blog: www.jeremybarnett.co.uk
- E-Legal Services: ‘To Speed up Justice for B2B systems’: With Professor Peter M Dew, Court 21 Leeds University School of Computing 12.10.2006
- Elected Member of the Bar Council for 9 years
- Chair of the Bar IT panel for 3 years
- Keen supporter of Leeds United (home and away) for 35 years
- Blues pianist
VAT number: 343196359